View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: worst brain fart during a game?

Two of them:

Circa 1995 - I was not a poker player then but I was at Atlantic City at the Taj playing a little 6-12.

I call preflop with 6d5d in late position. There are 6 or 7 players in the hand.

Flop: 4d3h2s

A few of us are still in for the turn as I slowplayed the nuts when the loudmouth to my immediate right bet.

Turn: 7d

Loudie bets again. I raise. Everyone else folds. Loudmouth mockingly ask "that 7 helped you, huh" and then gets into a raising war with me. We go about 10 bets. He keeps ranting that I must be on a flush draw. He then finally says "do you want to just push it all in?"

I had about $250 in front of me and he had me covered.

Suddenly, I panic. I start thinking "[censored], what if he has Ad5d and thinks his straight is good but then goes on to hit the flush. Damn that would suck."

I decline the invitation to go all in and just call after about 10 bets (of course, it never even dawned on me that the guy couldn't have the 5d as I had it...lol)

The river is a diamond and loudmouth starts swearing at the dealer and checks. I bet and he calls. Turns out that he only had a bike with Ac5c. If the river wasn't a diamond, maybe I would have accepted an invitation to put it all in but then again, I may still have panicked and said no...lol

The second brain fart was just a couple of years ago when I put in 19 bets on the river until I was all-in after having misread the board. There were 4 hearts and the Ace of diamonds on board. I held red Kings. Somehow, my brain told me that there were 4 hearts including the ace of hearts on board. I looked at the board about 4 tiimes during the raising war trying to see if there was a straight flush possible that I somehow missed. Everyone at the table assumed that the other guy was out to lunch while all that raising was going on. Man, that was an embarassing and horrifying moment when the chips in the middle went to the other guy.