View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Moving up (and down) in limits: Bankroll ?

[ QUOTE ]

Being a recreational player (as I'm assuming you are) going broke isn't the end of the world as it is for a poker pro. However, you still probably want to make money at it, and not have to pay for it without outside money.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be clear, this somes my situation up pretty good. I have no intention of going pro. I just want to be responsible and never reach back into my wallett to re-finance my poker. Thats not to say that I don't play alot, I do, I just am perfectly well off and happy with my software engineering carreer and would probably lose some lover for the game if I were to play as a semi-pro/pro. My goal is to just keep getting progressivley better at this hobby I really enjoy.

Thanks for the reply,some good stuff to consider.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, just because you're a winning player at the level you're at now does not necessarily mean you will be at the next level right away. You may even be the fish for a couple of weeks. Play is usually considerably stronger when going up a level. You don't have any notes on players so you may lose a few buy ins before you realize certain guys are only betting with the nuts, and your second nuts are no good against them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am perfectly aware of this and realize as I start moving out of my comfort zone even if I am winning I may just be having a good run. That is why I think it will be important to drop back down before I get to my required roll to play at the next level down. I figure I need to be able to lose several buy-ins to allow me to keep with my aggressive style