Old 05-02-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Poll: IQ

[ QUOTE ]
"is everybody at this forum that high above the mean?"

Not even close.

"welscher"

Weschler.

"i am not even sure if all scales even go up to 170..."

The Stanford-Binet V and the Cattell Culture-Fair Forms A+B can identify adult persons with an IQ at or above 170 using a SD of 16. Internet tests are garbage (with a few exceptions).

And there is a positive correlation between IQ and anything requiring thought. That's the idea. Given that poker requires one to simulate the thoughts and behaviors of the opposition on an ongoing basis ('higher-order intentionality'), which is one of the most complicated tasks the brain can perform, I'd say poker skill is very highly correlated with IQ. Of course, most players never get to the stage where 'higher-order intentionality' makes or breaks them as a player in a given game; but, assuming they get there, what distinguishes the great player from the merely good or average player is probably 'nothing more' than raw neurological potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

Close, but the correct spelling is Wechsler.

When I became a member of Mensa in 1980 I scored in the top 1%. I'm not just a genius, but a certified super genius. So why did I push with the nut flush and not even see the possibility of the str8 flush that beat me? Why do I do all the stupid things at the poker table that I do? Why can't I come off tilt when I know how destructive that is to my game?

I can give testimony to the fact that nothing in the world is more common than unrewarded genius. Some poker skills that are rewarded, and that have nothing to do with IQ, are desire, perseverance, determination, patience,and aggression.

My suggestion is that emotions and psychology have nothing to do with IQ, yet are a great part of the game of poker. It is a game of skill, like hitting a 100mph fastball. Having a high IQ may give you an advantage in learning the game, but it won't help you play the game. We all know players that can talk a good game,(I'm one of those) but can you bring it to the table? (Not me,yet!)