View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Pretty standard situation, top pair

A little more detail on my thought process in the earlier post since I think this is a good situation to study (you know a lot about the villian based on the betting).

First thing the villian did was CALL a T$90 bet with two players to act behind. What do you put him on? Well this will be table stakes dependent, but I put him on:

AK
AQ
AJ maybe, but usually a bad idea given big early raise.
KQ Yes, many people play this in position
KJ A little weak, but many people play this in position
QJ A little weak, but a few people play this in position
88-44 many people call late with these
33-22 I would add these given villian is on the button.

Suited will increase the chance of a call for the above.

What do I think the button DOESN'T have?

AA-QQ -- No, he likely min raises to build the pot and temp the other players to hang themselves
JJ-99 -- No, likely raises big to hopefully win pot or at least isolate against initial raiser. People acting behind make a call very unlikely with these hands since calling many times gives proper odds for later calls. 99 is borderline here and might go with the smaller pairs.

OK the flop comes and villian CALLS a pot sized bet (300). Now what do they have?

88/44 bad news if they have this, but only a few permutations
AK - Some people can't lay it down. AKs of hearts certainly
AQ - unlikely but certainly if suited
AJ - yep
KJ - yep
QJ - yep
KQ - yep if suited
77 66 55 - I've seen it before but unlikely.

So if you look at all the hands you beat against all the potential calling hands (not to mention all the possible idiot hands), you are a strong favorite in my book even at this point.

The turn comes a blank 6. Very unlikely 66 called the 300, so not much changes on the probability of villian having dangerous hands.

The pot is too big to make a reasonable bet and laydown to a raise, so the play on the turn is all-in in my opinion.

Pokerscott