View Single Post
Old 03-25-2003, 09:47 PM

Default Re: PLO basics.. flopping a set

It's hard for any one hand to be a favourite over top set on the flop, assuming of course there's no straight or flush already available. It takes 18 outs to be favourite, and such hands are really rare.

Against more than one player you are a money favourite almost always, I think, although there can easily be > 20 outs against you.

So, committing all your money with top set wins in the long run I think. The goal is to do better than this dumb strategy.

How you play depends on the texture of the flop and the stack sizes. E.g. with a flop of Q72 rainbow, holding trip Qs, you try to get all the money in on the flop and turn - you have two betting rounds to do it since there's no straight or flush draw out.

With a flop that offers a flush draw, but no big wraps, try to get most of your money in on the flop since you'll lose your customers if the board pairs on fourth street. Against any action you can fold if the flush comes.

With a scary flop like 7JQ with two of a suit, I am inclined not to bet the top set. I'd prefer to see a small card or a board pair first. This is arguably weak, but the situation is so volatile that I prefer to play safe.

Middle and bottom set: same comments apply - it's hard to flop better than a set - but you can be dead in the water to a larger set so err on the side of folding. It helps to avoid playing hands that can flop middle or bottom set.

Guy.