View Single Post
Old 03-24-2003, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Question - Tiger\'s competition vs other greats competition

Yeah, at his best Watson would challenge Tiger some. Remember though that Watson, even as great as he was, had a brief window where his game was all together. When he putted great, his tee to green game had moments of terror. Like missing greens by 30 yards from 150. Like Tiger in his rookie year. When Watson got to be his best tee to green, his putting slipped away. Tiger is the first player to be the total player. Long. Hits greens. Putts great, not good. Great short game. Hogan had only a brief period where his long game and putting were great. Hogan's putting really suffered after his accident. Nicklaus was long and accurate, a great competitor, a great course manager, and a great putter from 10' in, but his short game was nowhere close to Tiger's. Tiger is maybe the first to hit it great and putt it great at the same time. He is a better competitor than even Nicklaus. So I think he beats all of those guys in their primes. Hard to say comparing eras though. And I don't want to take away from the old guys. They were great. Tiger is greater. I don't think Watson, Trevino or Nicklaus would phold up as bad as Phil tho. We might see more epic battles like Turnberry.