View Single Post
Old 03-24-2003, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Question - Tiger\'s competition vs other greats competition

That's an interesting way to put it, that what makes him great is that he has no competition. He is taking away opportunities for other players to win majors with his play. He's made a lot of guys look like bums and owns them psychologically. I think there is some merit to the point that Nicklaus played against some guys who competed better. I can't knock Watson, Trevino, Casper, Palmer, and others. Tiger would own those guys too, however. I would like to see a player come along with all the skills to challenge Tiger some. Right now Tiger's competition basically rotates. He is beating the excellent player who is having a good week, but the players are taking turns stepping up. People thought Sergio might step up, but he has no mental control and can't putt right now. Duval went ito the toilet. Phold won't ever seriously challenge. Els is a great player in any era. Singh a very good second tier player (akin to Johnny Miller or Tom Weiskopf) in any era. Collectively the competion is tougher, but nobody stands out. Like you, I don't think it takes anything away from tiger tho.