View Single Post
Old 04-30-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Dear bison: the May advice thread.

Dear NC,

Disease is the handmaiden of war. Isolation and burnout are the handmaidens of playing online poker for a living.

When I was playing for a living, I came to associate that feeling with the endless sameness of my days. You know you have to put in X hours a week or a month to pay your bills, and you'd like to put in Y hours on top of that so you could save some money up or buy toys or whatever, but essentially, no matter how much you make, you'll need to do it again next week or next month or whatever. If you don't enjoy those necessary hours of play, then it just becomes this dreaded, boring burden, where BBs are the only thing you produce.

Some people get more or ask less from poker than others, but I would consider, at the very least, taking a break and considering what you want to be doing in a year and whether or not poker is going to get you any closer to that.

If not, and you don't want to find a full-time job, then you might consider signing up for classes at a local college or finding a part-time job to keep yourself socially and intellectually engaged with actual people.