View Single Post
Old 04-30-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: 4 hands from tonight\'s sessions...

Hand 1: Nice hand. I think you made all the right moves for all the right reasons. With your passive read on MP2, I think you made an OK fold. Watch him closely, though, and reevaluate your assessment.

Hand 2: This is anything but a raise or fold situation. This is barely a raise or call situation. You have 35% equity or so (some dirty outs if you're against a set), and more than 2 opponents. This is a great time to 3bet for value. Play your flush draws very strongly on the flop in general if you have 2+ opponents. Your play at the time was right, but your hesitancy now is a problem. On the turn, you no longer have an equity edge, especially if no one folds. Also, you don't really want a free showdown. You want to cap the river if you hit, and check/fold if you miss. There's no way A high is winning in this large field. Just call, keep as many along for the ride as possible.

Hand 3: I raise QJs preflop, usually. On the flop, you're looking at a 5.5 outer (can't see giving your overcards outs on that coordinated flop and large field). You barely have the odds to call (no where near the equity needed to raise), and with a maniac and a TAG behind you, it's likely to get raised, destroying your odds. Fold the flop, and pick a better spot to fight with the maniac and the TAG. On the turn, you do have enough of an equity edge if everyone calls your bet. It's uncommon to get this many callers, however. With a gutshot and a flush draw, that's 12 outs, giving you about 24% equity. You also have the maniac who acted behind you. I'd check to him, let him bet, and then raise if 3 or more people call him, or call if not. Cap the river every time. No need to fear a higher flush when someone could have raised hitting a striaght.

Hand 4: Don't try for a check/raise when you're the preflop aggressor. Just bet out, and get money in the pot holding top set. Turn is fine. River, yuck. I'd certainly fold TPTK here, but I'd hate to get pushed of a set by someone who just hit a queen. I'd probably bet/call (definitely bet - Clarkmeister's theorem) in this fairly large pot, but I'm willing to accept the critique of others who say that's bad.

P.S. I don't mind that you posted multiple hands since you obviously put a lot of work into the post. You posted your thoughts and your reads, which helps everyone respond. Had you just posted the 4 hands with no comments, it would have looked really bad. I give you a big thumbs up for the quality of your hand post.