View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: poker is a way of life vs. poker is just a hobby

I believe it was David Sklansky that said, "There are 2 kinds of people that will be pro poker players (that make money.) Those with a feakish skill set, or those that could make more money doing something else, but choose not to."

One of the other issues I have with 'going pro' is you don't build up any transferable job skills. Say you become pro and it turns out you make 100k a year at it, great. And in 5 years you want to do something else, well good luck finding a job that starts paying at that! People change winning lots of money at poker seems to be a win 'right now' not an over time win if it's money you depend on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of pros that dig what they do and it's fine. There are people that shovel [censored] at the race track, people that do math problems for a living, people that write articles, people that are trained killers, and they are all fine. I think what's important is to find a profession you like enough to do 40 hours a week that pays enough. Sure I'd like to be a kayak instructor, but I want more money. I like technology and solving puzzles, so I'm a computer guy and the money is fine. I could get a harder computer job that pays more, but I don't want to kill myself at my job.

Money is important, it makes things in life easier. But if money is all you have and no life, you have nothing to make easier.