View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Re: A4s, no position

[ QUOTE ]
Your absoloutly right but why do you think there is more +EV calling him down then
bet the flopp and check/call the turn? (with is what i do most of the time)
If he checks he most likly has a week A or something you have beaten.
If you think i´m way of then please correct me

[/ QUOTE ]

Leading the flop sais "I have a weak ace" to most people. The real problem with saying that on the flop is that a savvy player can call and take the pot away from you on the turn in most cases. (For the rest of this paragraph, I am talking in general, since you don't know on the flop another ace is coming on the turn). Say you bet and get called, how do you feel now? Your kicker is useless, and you have met resistance. On the turn do you bet again? If so what do you do if it is raised? Do you check? If so what do you do when it is bet back at you? You could push, representing a strong hand, but then you are giving good odds to call. You may push a few better hands out, but you will get a lot of calls here due to the shallowness of the stack.

I like check calling this from the turn on. The flop I sometimes call, sometimes fold.

I'm not crazy about Strassa's line here because I think PM's hand is too in the middle for it. I like that line as an alternative to check raising the flop with a middle pair (if you decide to play that hand) and when you have a bigger ace or full house. Leading the turn after check calling can look really weak to an opponent. Since the top card paired, villain knows that in PMs eyes, he is less likely to have an ace, and may be betting second pair or worse. The problem in this specific case is that if PM leads, he cannot feel good if he gets raised. He has now made the pot big, and has put himself in a difficult spot where there are good chance of folding or calling incorrectly. Sure, villain may passively pay off with second pair, but he may not. There is a much greater chance of villain continuing to value bet a lesser hand or bluff here if he checks IMO. Leading the river is certainly a though, since there is a good chance villain checks behind with a lesser hand, but if villain has a bigger ace (or better) he will put you to the test.

The line PM took protects him a lot. It is very unlikely that a better hand will push here, since it will be looking for value, unless PM bets or raises at some point. If faced with a push in this line, PM can call eith relative ease. True, he may go broke there, but it would be unusual (though not unheard of) to see a better hand pushing there (especially since that means overbetting the pot by a fair ammount).