View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Apparent contradiction to a newbie

Pairs vary widely in value. Obviously Aces are the highest pair, but the downside is when you flop a set you have another low card on board. Kings and Queens are good pairs in high hands. If you are very lucky you can flop a set that will still be the nuts at the river. Jacks, Tens and Nines do not have this ability. There will either be a straight or a higher set possible.

Suited cards also fall off sharply in value. So suited Aces are best, suited Kings are good, and then the value drops off quickly. You generally do not want to be drawing to worse than the second nut flush, and of course you prefer to be drawing to the nuts.

I try to let these priciples guide my selection of high only hands. K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is a lot better than K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in my opinion. I will often play the hand with the suited King in good position but will generally fold the same hand with a suited Jack or no suits.