View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Monster draw OOP 600PL

A phrase I like to keep in mind... "the best way to win in NL is to spot your opponent the nuts, and then suck out."

If you are up against a set or better, then having a pair here is worthless... your "outs" to make trips or two pair are no good, barring the miracle runner-runner boat. And if you can get your entire stack in the pot on the flop, then it's a pretty good bet that you will need to make the flush to win... when all the money goes in, you have to suck out enough to beat the current nuts, not just suck out enough to beat a pair.

This is not the type of hand that I like to go crazy with on the flop, because your opponents will fold everything that you are ahead of, but they will not fold very many better hands. If I had bottom pair and a flush draw, then I would be more likely to play it very aggressively, because I would like to get folds from hands like second pair, pocket pairs worse than top pair, etc. Also, if my opponent decides to stick around with TPTK, then having bottom pair gives me more outs than having top pair with a worse kicker.

But of course, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you're pretty sure that your opponent has an overpair and won't back it with his stack, then go ahead and blow him off of it... my advice is geared more toward all of the times when you see a flop without much of an idea of what your opponents might hold, which is much more common.