View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Girl lays down cowboys on river

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's anything wrong with folding the flop, but since she didn't I really don't like raising the turn unless she's committed, which she was not. I don't think any worse hands can call the turn raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
turnipmonster- as much as I respect your posts, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Since hero didn't indicate any strength btf, SB could easily c/r the flop with a number of hands other than 88/44/33, including 56 (for the OESD) or 99/10s (overpair). Hands like 8-4/8-3/4-3 may be possible since villian completed from the SB, just not as likely since they're -EV hands.

Personally I like the hero's non-committing raise on the turn for the sole reason that it allows her to re-gain control of the action (while she's holding what may very well be the best hand). Since hero has position on villian, the turn-raise then acts as a blocking bet before the river. If villian checks at the end, then she can easily check behind for a free showdown. I don't think a free/cheap showdown would've been possible if hero only called the turn bet.

Villian's push on 5th street still puts hero in a semi-tough spot, but laying down KK isn't as hard anymore after the action on the turn. All in all, hero only lost about 1/3 of her stack while holding a big overpair. That's not too shabby, imo.