View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Free will and determinism

[ QUOTE ]
When he presents me with the choice, I realize that I have already made my decision - without knowing it at the time - and I am stuck with that.

There is no changing your mind at the last minute. The decision to do that was already part of your predictable state at the time he set up the boxes.

This does not condradict free will. It was my free will that led me to the point in my life that he based his decision on. Free will is not random, I can only choose what seems to be the best choice at the time, for whatever reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is precisely what does contradict free will. If you belive that at a moment of decision that your choice has been made for you as an effect of all the causes in the past (your history) then the idea of free will is unnecessary. The alien (imaginary being in Newcomb) has already made his prediction of what you are going to do based on his knowledge of your story. By picking only the second box you are agreeing that your choice of it has been predetermined. Taking both boxes is an expression of your belief in free will in that you know that the alien has already made his decision whatever it may be and that reason suugests you take both boxes which you choose to follow. Some may think that taking only the second box is superior as your belief in free will and reason is part of your story and the alien understands that and knows you will take both boxes so he leaves you with only $1,000. Others think that taking both boxes is superior as if I have the responsibility to make my own decision then I must put my faith in my ability to do so and to act in my own interest. In other words, it is contradictory for me to be in the position of making a decision and doing so on the basis of not being able to make a spontaneous decision.

That's why it's a paradox.

regards,

raisins