View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Game to learn after 08? Advanced 08?

Okay, this is a good post. It's good because you don't just automatically assume you are an advanced player and have nothing more to learn.

First off, just throw away the notion of learning another game already before you become more advanced at O8. Stick with O8 for now, if you are having questions about playing two pair on a low flop.

You probably need to read Ray's book again and again if you don't think it's advanced enough. It is deceptively simple sounding, as are a lot of the 2+2 books. Many people think that they are playing the way 2+2 authors recommend, but they are fooling themselves.

"Why sure, anyone would check-raise semi-bluff in that situation, it's just common sense, I do it all the time!"

I hear that over and over again (that sort of thing), but be honest with yourself, how many times do you really see some advanced play that you have read about in 2+2 books? And more importantly, how often do you really make these supposedly common sense plays yourself?

The real truth is, some advanced plays that seems so deceptively simply are rarely used. So if you think you've conquered Ray's book, think again, and read it with an open mind, letting the advanced nature of it teach you some new tricks.

Another book, that is mostly geared towards Omaha High, but will give you something to think about, is Bob Ciaffone's book, "Hold'em Omaha Poker." If nothing else, Bob will make you chew on some things you may never have thought about before. It's hopelessly out of date, but the theory is still very applicable to Omaha.

Just about the time I think I know something thoroughly in poker, the real world smacks me in the face and I realize that this game takes a lifetime to master. I don't know anything at all...

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net