View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Raising question, first live no limit game

I played my first live no limit game last night, 1/2 at Foxwoods... the table is aggressive and somewhat loose. I get dealt 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in late position, put in a $10 raise, get called by the button and SB.

The button is a very good, tight player. The SB is overly aggressive and loose, but he seems to know what hes doing and use his table image to his advantage. He's also got a huge stack of chips in front of him.

The flop comes up 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The SB bets $10, I raise $15, the button raises $25, SB folds, I fold. I got some grief at the table for raising then folding but this is what I was thinking: The SB loves to bet into people so his bet really meant nothing, either did his PF call. He could have almost any hand so I figure I probably have him beat. The button is a solid player and might have two high cards or a pocket pair. If he has either (unless it's a monster pair) he'll probably fold to a raise, but if he has a set he'll probably reraise (because he wouldn't be there unless he had something like A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]).

As soon as the button reraised I figured he had something good... maybe A7 or AA. When the SB folded it was even more likely the button had a 7.

Anyway, after I folded the button turned over pocket 7s... he flopped quads!

My two questions are:

1. Was my play/thinking ok? Was I over thinking the situation? Should I just have called?

2. If you flop quads and the two poeple before you bet and raise, why on earth wouldn't you just call? You KNOW they don't have a set which is sort of what the raise represents... why not let the raiser (me in this case) bet again and put more money in the pot?