View Single Post
Old 04-27-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Free Will Philosophy Problem

[ QUOTE ]
My philosophy teacher posed this problem to the class. I've been thinking about it a lot, and I'm fairly convinced I have the correct answer. I want to hear what you guys think about it.

Box #1 is guaranteed to contain $1000 no matter what. Box #2 either contains one million dollars, or it contains nothing. You can either 1) take both boxes, or 2) take only Box #2.

Seems simple enough right now, but there's a story behind Box #2. A brilliant alien psychologist has been studying your every behavior since birth. This hypothetical alien knows you better than you know yourself, and can predict your actions as accurately as possible. This alien is in charge of deciding whether to put the million in Box #2 or not. If the alien predicts you will chose both boxes, he will put nothing in Box #2. If the alien predicts that you chose ONLY Box #2, he will put a million dollars in it.

Like I said, I've pretty much convinced myself of the answer. I'd be interested to hear various arguments on both sides though, because I might end up having to defend myself later in class.

[/ QUOTE ]

My brain hurts