View Single Post
Old 04-26-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Roy Cooke on Cheating and Cheaters

Guys involved with poker, it would seem to me, would be very hesitant to name names in public. Based on their writings, I give credence to what Roy Cooke and David Sklansky say about poker. The fact that Cooke has never played with Russ or in the $4K-$8K game doesn't mean he doesn't know something about them. And, IIRC, I believe an email from David to Russ posted by Russ in his RGP heyday said that David knew some of the things Russ said to be true. Mike Caro must also have at least suspected some of the things to be true; thus his initial cooperation with Russ.

What turned Mike off, and a lot of others (most especially you, as I recall), is that Russ practically accused everybody everywhere of cheating. And, so, of course this (along with his poor writing and combative style) put a negative light on everything he said. So whatever truth there may have been in some of the things was drowned in the flood of poorly written accusations.

I do especially agree with one thing, though: to just say, as Cooke says, that some of what Russ says should be listened to, can be a disservice without specifics. Russ accused a lot of big names of being a cheater. To just say that some of what Russ said is true lends credence to those accusations and that's a sin if the accusations are untrue. So which specific accusations Cooke believes to be true, and why he so believes, would be, for me, a welcome revelation.

But, as I say, I don't think you'll never see such a revelation.