View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Wall Street Vs. Law School Vs. Graduate School

I would echo what others have said about do what you like. With that said, though, I'm a 3rd year law student at a top-10 school (which seems like what you're looking at) so maybe I can offer some perspective:

Cons - Law school is expensive. I have $120K in debt from law school and at a lot of good schools I would have a bit more. This means that by the time you graduate you would probably need to make 6 figures to live comfortably.

The work is long and hard. Whether or not it is boring or not will depend on your personality. I personally don't find it boring because I work on very complicated transactions for sophisticated clients. I'm a small town kid and I still find all of this fascinating.

Pros - The going rate for first year attorneys in big firms is $125K and that is before bonus. I'm in the top quarter of my class and didn't have too much trouble getting that (although it is harder now than it was before). This could, of course, go down, but history suggests that that is unlikely.

Upshot - If you can get into a top 10 lawschool, you will most likely make more in law than going onto Wall Street. True, you have the possibility of making more on wall street, but it is much riskier. Also, think of it this way - partners at big law firms don't make as much as MDs at an I-bank or hedge fund managers, but they do make $1m or more a year. So sure the ceiling is lower than on wall street but you can still make more than you know what to do with.

Also, I don't mean to be a snob (I have no reason to be - I was probably very lucky in getting into the school I got into), but if you get much out of the top 10 for lawschool (actually top 20 is probably fine) I think the picture is much different. You would really have to kick butt in school to get a good job and you would come out with the same debt.

One final point - Law school itself, in my experience, is pretty easy (not at all like movies or books would suggest). The curve is very tight - meaning that you can slack off a lot and still get good (enough) grades. Thus, if you want to have hobbies for the next 3 years, law school is an ok choice. If you want to have free time after that, though, law isn't a good field to be in.

Sorry for the rambly post, but I hope that helps.