View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Stars $650.00 Hand for Analysis

Ok.

Preflop I think is very standard. Repopping it is bad for a number of reasons generally. If your opponent is going to reraise you here with AA KK or even QQ or AK, then you are much better off flat calling. You lose the chance to bust a pair higher than yours by flopping a set. You really dont want to make a huge pot with JJ out of position, because you'll find yourself in situations very difficult to control. And also, sometimes (because many will reraise here with JJ) flat calling gains some deception which can be useful postflop.

On the flop, your raise is rather pointless. The person to act behind you is rarely going to bluff after someone leads and another person calls, so if you choose to say in the hand, I'd think your best option is to flat call the flop. Plus, contrary to some of the advice in this thread, it really isnt a good play generally to stick more than 1/3 of your stack in the pot and then fold to further aggression. Raising here with the plan of folding to a reraise is much inferior to calling in this spot. Most of the time the guy behind you will just fold. I really dont get the raise... If the person who led the flop was bluffing then he's likely drawing to 2-6 outs and you dont loose a lot by calling, and if he has a real hand very rarely will he put in a lot of money when you are the favorite.

So yeah, i'd call and call both actions here.

-jason