View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Re: How to learn Hold\'em

Overcards are difficult to play. My standard move is to bet out with position (after I PFR) and against a few players on a fairly raggedy flop. I also bet the turn and check behind the river unimproved. Many of these players will call a flop bet, but will fold when the bets double on the turn. This has worked wonders for me and I think it'll help you with your overcards.

Most of my money comes from pocket pairs. ANy pair is playable at this level. Even for two bets if enough opponents is in the hand because if you spike a set you will collect a huge pot most of the time.

I didn't hear you talking about pumping up flush draws or even straight draws. Against 3 opponents (2 is alright I guess) raise this if you can trap opponents for multiple bets. Your equity is huge here. But I wouldn't raise if the bet came from your right. I'd rather have a bunch of overcalls to go with my flush draw.

Not letting go of premium pairs when you know you're beat is a major leak. I'm not sure about a default play for these type of hands, but just watch out for coordinated boards and players reaction to it. If they are going nuts slowdown a bit.

But check-raising that JJ hand on the turn is not a winning move IMO.

In late position there are more profitible hands. Like suited connectors 78 and up. These play well multiway. But I don't want you try playing these hands if you can't get away from say top pair. So maybe save these hands for later.

Sometimes you can just be running bad for 6000 hands. I ran breakeven for about 4000 hands so it happens.

Hopefully this helps a bit.