View Single Post
Old 04-24-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: $55 - LEVEL 1 - AK - UTG ** Let\'s talk strategy

Part 1:

I limp, to get a feeling on the hands that are going to act behind me. I have a better chance of having a lesser Ace raise me if he is able to enter with a raise rather than coldcalling.

If I raise, I'm going to have to play out of position vs. unknown hands. Many times flops have come K high and I find myself betting my chips into someone who called me with 33 and hit their set.

AK is a drawing hand and I don't want to play big pots with it early, especially out of position.

If I miss the flop, I check/fold. If I hit my A or K, I check/call, hopefully getting the lesser Ace to prod along, where I'll checkraise the turn.

Part 2:

If I limped, I'm giving up and check folding. Hell, even if I raised, I'm check folding. Obviously, if a Level 1 UTG raiser is getting 3 callers, this is a loose table and I prefer to take advantage of that with a made hand in position later on rather than firing out into the unknown early on.

K9, KT, JQ are all possibilities that loose callers play therre and any of them have me in bad enough shape for me to choose to step aside.

Part 3:

I'm checkcalling the flop here. My thoughts are that anyone loose enough to enter the pot with a hand that gains its strength from a straight/flush draw and hit that flop will also be too loose to lay it down to a showing of strength on the flop. Since they're going to be coming along, I'll give up the free card. If the flush/straight hits, I'm usually checking and then calling or folding depending on the strength shown. Otherwise I'm leading out allin and letting them chase at the reduced odds having one card left to hit gives them.