View Single Post
Old 03-12-2003, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Proof of Sklansky\'s theorem?

My 2 cents:
In the book "Sklansky on POKER THEORY", GBC Press 1978, David presented "THE FUNDAMENTAL THEOREM OF POKER" on page 27. Using an analogy from science (engineering whatever), I propose that it would be more appropriate to call it "David Sklansky's FUNDAMENTAL LAW OF POKER." If it is a law -- than you don't have to prove it. A law can be considered valid until somebody’s disproves it or tosses it out. For instance, in the engineering-science field: “The second law of thermodynamics is a major building block in the engineering science field.” It has never been proved to be true but more important it has (repeating myself) never been disproved.

Also getting back to theorems: True: Theorems are proved, but behind every theorem there is at least one assumption whether we know it or not (there is always an assumption associated with every theorem). A German mathematician (what was his name?) proved (or tried to prove) that it is essentially impossible to prove anything. If we go down deep enough it may be almost impossible to prove anything. Some people think that the “Second Law of Thermodynamics” might be violated in deep space.