View Single Post
Old 04-21-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: 1/2 holdem at caribbean- Did i make the right play?

When a passive player REraises, that should send off warning bells in your head. BEST case scenario, someone has two overcards on you, and you're facing a coin-flip situation. More likely, the raiser and reraiser BOTH have at LEAST overcards on you. Furthermore, it's entirely possible that one of them has a higher pocket pair than your 10s, meaning you're drawing to two outs.

Preflop, I'm saying you basically win this hand only when you spike your 10. Now, that's not impossible, but the odds of hitting on the flop are about 1 in 7.5. The last thing you want to do here is chase out the callers who could be giving you pot odds to keep going. I don't really like this cap. In fact, I think I'd be strongly tempted to fold my 10s here: the reraise is going to knock out so many players that I'm just about guaranteed to lose money on this deal in the long run, forced to fold when I don't spike a 10 and unable to catch up (three small bets each) x (six and a half losers) = almost 10 big bets when I DO spike my 10.

Given your preflop play, however, I like your flop bet. It continues with the aggression and forces the players to make a decision. Also, it gives them a chance to check-raise you if they have you beaten, so that you know it's time to flee.