View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Slow Play vs Big raise??? How do you Slowplay.. and

I'll assume that your post was in error, and that you actually had a straight, not a pair of 8's.

You need to examine your whole poker thought process. Specifically, when and why did you put your opponent on a full house? I see no reason to automatically give him credit for a full house just because the board paired.

The reason I ask is that for your opponent to have a full house when the board paired, he first would have to have 2 pair or trips on the turn. If you put your opponent on such a strong hand, the decision to slowplay is clearly incorrect. Remember, for a slowplay to be right, it has to make more money than the alternatives. If you read your opponent for real strength, building the pot is always preferable to a WPT-style slowplay. It is only correct to slowplay when you:

1. Have a dominant hand.
2. Believe your opponents have nothing.
3. Believe that they might make a strong second-best hand
on the later streets.

In this case, you satisfied the first condition, but the second two were clearly violated. Your opponent was badly beaten, had a hand with which he'd have given you all his chips, and had a live draw against you. Bad time to slowplay.