View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Trouble with middle pairs

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Should I raise here? I'm having trouble in this situation because with 2 limpers and the blinds I'm assuming 5-way or more and that I want to try for my set here.

If I do raise and an overcard comes or a scary board would the typical line be to bet/call a raise and check/fold the turn unimproved?

Thanks,
D5

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise that 100% of the time. You scare people behind you out, buying you position, and the people that are in front of you will play very cautious, you can get a real good feel for their strength. When that overcard falls, (and it probably will), they'll think it hit YOU! They might not like their kicker, and if you have position on em, you can take a free showdown or whatever when they likely check to you.. If they start betting into you or raising on the big streets, THEN be afraid. Examples of why I raise 99:

This 1st one is slightly maniacal but these guys were LAG's:

Crypto 2/4 - Hero in LP with 99:
Preflop:
UTG limps, UTG+1 raises, EP folds, MP coldcalls, Hero 3bets, 5 folds, UTG/UTG+2 call.

Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero raises, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds.
Hero wins 7bb.

--------------------
This 2nd one is standard operating procedure, table full of fish:

Crypto £1/2 - Hero is UTG with 99

Preflop:
Hero raises, 4 folds, MP calls, 4 folds.

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets, MP calls

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero bets, MP calls

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets, MP folds.

Hero wins 5.5bb

Aggression rules the field..