View Single Post
Old 04-19-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Life a thousand years from now?

Well, I guess I will be odd and not post a sarcastic/comedy/flip answer. Obviously, no one can predict acurately what the world will be like in 1,000 years, but what is wrong with speculating?

I think in within the next couple hundred years, mankind will be hit with a super-virus (probably engineered) that will kill a couple billion of us at least.

Assuming we recover from that without most of the planet going up in flames, here's how I see life 1,000 years from now:

People with enough money will be able to live as long as they want, barring a severe accident. The advancements in genetics and medicine will be able to keep your body going for hundreds of years. However, the mind will be a different matter. I think once people start living past a couple hundred years, we will start to see new psychological problems arise from that. I doubt anyone could live more than 500 years without going insane.

Genetic engineering will change society forever. The people with money will be smarter, healthier, and live longer. This will help them become even wealthier and stay in control of the wealth. This will allow them to improve themselves even more. This leads to an ever-increasing gulf between those with wealth and those without, even becoming so pronounced that the poor slobs who have no access to technology are looked at as inferior beings, like we would view a neanderthal man. The enhanced people will have nothing to do with them. Without activists standing up for those people, they may be relegated to little more than slaves.

We will not have explored space very much at all. Faster-than-light travel still remains a dream. We will probably have small settlements on the Moon and on Mars, but for scientific research purposes mainly, like the current outposts in Antarctica.

We will still not made contact with any extra-terrestrial beings. The galaxy is just too vast, requiring immense amounts of resources and energy to travel anywhere, for us or them.

Religion will still be around in various forms, probably some that have not changed much at all.

The human population will probably be much smaller than now, but we will surely still be here. No matter what disaster or war happens, it would be damn near impossible to wipe everyone out.