Thread: AJo and KQo UTG
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: AJo and KQo UTG

"KQ is a hand that i personally play a lot of different ways. I think raising it is often good so that when you are cold called, you can continue to bet and get people to fold weaker aces. However, there is some merit to limping with it in my opinion to induce the KQ, KJ, QJ hands to come along, because if you raise KQo in EP and are called, you are usually dominated when you hit the flop and get heavy action. This is not true if you limp with it, as you've induces weker hands to come along for the ride. In my opinion, this is one of those hands that you have to mix up your play with."

I could not disagree more. First of all, if I see someone at the table open-raising UTG with this type of hand I am going to three-bet them to death every chance I get. And I wouldn't assume that you're going to push what you call the weaker aces off their hands by betting when an ace hits the board. Whats going to happen is your going to get popped on the turn by someone who does indeed have you dominated. And then what do you do? Keep trying to bluff at the pot or lay it down? Either way you've lost money.
Limping in EP is even worse. If you're going to play this hand at least try to narrow the field a bit by raising. You talk about creating a big multi-way pot with a hand that doesn't play well multi-way. You have no draw except for the remote chance of a Broadway straight. You don't have a pair to make a set with. Ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish with this hand before you get involved with it.