View Single Post
Old 04-19-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: satellite bubble hand

This was a satellite to the $650 WSOP qualifier on Stars.

I think the button (big stack) was correct to open-limp here with a fairly wide range of hands. He doesn't really want to play any pot heads up against either of us -- he'd much rather play a three-way pot. If the big stack raises to 1200 (3xBB) from the button, then the small stack will probably fold, but could easily reraise all-in -- it would be profitable for the small stack to do that because there would already be 1800 in the pot when his stack was only 6400, and the other two of us aren't going to call the all-in without a premium hand.

If the button min-raises there (to 800), then a very likely result would be the small stack (in the SB) folding, and the medium stack (me in the BB) calling, which is not especially desirable for the button.

So the button was not open-limping with any two, but he would open-limp with a variety of hands.

In particular, I think he'd be correct to open-limp with cards that have some chance of making the nuts or close to it -- pocket pairs, suited and offsuit connectors, suited aces, and suited kings. The reason is that later on in the hand, he will not want to call a large raise (from either of his opponents) unless he is extremely sure that he has the best hand.