View Single Post
Old 04-15-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: not a matter of odds?

I think you describe a big reason to use the flop-CR, for exactly the reasons you give. I am just wondering if we are missing some value by not waiting for the Turn, and just how often we can expect to see a Turn CR from opponent. In the games you describe, it seems that your opponents are CR the Turn when you bet the flop as they see you for a small pair, but you are also CR the flop with strong hands as it is your standard line when you have a small pair... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I certainly think there is room for both and other lines discussed, I just do not think they have been discussed enough (for me anyway) to be sure exactly where they "fit" in the scheme of things. I hate "standard" lines without an understanding of how they fit in with alternatives, and when those standard lines or alternatives may apply or be more correct.

I CR the flop to tell my opponent in no uncertain terms that I am not going to be messed with in this hand, I have a made-hand "so don't get clever with me". That said, just yesterday I raised a JTx flop with QTo in a HU blind-defence spot (I was OTB in this case) and was CR on a Turn-rag. Opponent bet River as well and showed A8o (no pair). I called as they were unknown and the line was unusual, so I figured high chance of a power-resteal. This kind of line (the call flop raise CR Turn as a re-steal) is pretty uncommon to see in the games I play, so I have to bow to your experience if you say that this is a major concern/problem in your games.

Amusingly, same session on Stars (where you can post your own avatar image), I was CR on flop after stealing OTB, took a look at the players photo (this was a photo not a cartoon or suchlike), figured he looked the type to try a resteal, and 3-bet him. He bullet-folded. Arf! Who says you cannot get reads on-line? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]