Thread: Too aggressive?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive?

This is a really great hand to post... Im tempted to say I dig it... but I could be convinced otherwise

Pre-Flop: Standard. Easy 3-bet. Easy Call.

Flop: A case can be made for calling the 3-bet and raising the turn. It is very likely that you have the best hand here. You are only behind to AsAd. There is a decent chance of being freerolled to the spades by another AK though (and totally screwed to AsKs). Most unknowns don't cap AsQs preflop, but that is also a possible holding. Because of COs most likely inferior hand, I like the cap.

Turn: CO wakes up, and that is odd. AK is far and away your most likely holding (if you are a solid), and he leads into you. This is odd, but the raise is automatic.

River: this is where it gets good! At first, your 3-bet looks like chip spewery. But I just cant put UTG on a hand that beats you.

Holdings where 3-bet is bad:

TJ: Umm... no.
55/88: preflop cap is very rare here.
QQ/KK: The turn/river make some sense. But, wtf is with the flop 3-bet OOP?
AsAd: I *could* see some playing that hand this way. But there is exactly 1 combination of AA.

Hands its good to 3-bet against:

AK: The turn action is weird, but all other streets check out.
AQ (especially AsQs): Preflop cap is weird. But, its not unreasonable to think this is AQ postflop.

Now, you are getting 2-1 on your raise. The problem, however, is that IF you are getting money from this pot, its very likely that you are splitting with the other player.

I think I like the 3-bet, because his action is really funky for a hand that beats you. But, I could be convinced otherwise.