View Single Post
Old 04-14-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Tough laydowns and the voice in your head

FWIW, I think knowing when to lay a hand like this down is one of the hardest things to do in poker.

I am no expert, but there are a couple things that I tend to do. First, I ask myself: is he really bluffing me right now? If you have a villain who bets on the flop calls a raise, bets on the turn, and goes all-in on the river, there is an EXCELLENT chance he's got two pair beat. In a nutshell, respect your opponents unless you have a pretty substantial and affirmative reason not to.

Second, I tend to use the "what beats me here" rule. On your board, there is a TON of stuff that beats you. The guy could have AA, KK, any 5, pocket dueces, A5, K5, 52, et al. Now, I understand that some of those hands are more likely than others, but you have a LOT that beats you. A lot.

Third, ask yourself: am I reasonably confident that I have the best hand. If you're not, you probably don't. You even admit you had this feeling. Trust it. I think you are much more likely to get this feeling at a B&M location than online because you have more to work with.

Finally, remember that there is always another hand. This is especially true in online poker. Guys that bet like your villain did are almost never bluffing. Even if he was, why risk it? Tell him, "good hand" and crush him later when you have more confidence in your hand and his play.