View Single Post
Old 02-18-2003, 08:25 PM

Default AQ for no raise (MichaelD)?

I hate it when a good player says something that I disagree with, because now I gotta spend my time thinking about something I thought I already thought about.

I don't believe I've ever heard anyone profess to mucking AQ for no raise before (until MichaelD did so recently). I also don't think this is a re-hash of Feeney's "AQ test", since I believe that only considered AQ after a raise. I apologize if I have this wrong.

To be honest, I don't believe I've ever played in a game where I even considered mucking AQ first in. That's how clear cut I always thought it was. That's how much +EV I thought AQ had before anyone else has raised pre-flop.

Can anyone (MichaelD?) please explain exactly under what set of game conditions it becomes correct to fold AQo for no raise?

I can see folding for a raise (but not always).

I can see circumstances that might dictate limping rather than raising.

But I cannot see throwing AQ away before any threat of a better hand exists. In any game. In any position. It's simply too good of a hand.

I tend to agree with the person that responded to MichaelD in another post. If the game is THAT bad, it might be a good opportunity to get some other business done or go work on your golf game for the day.

Tight is right and all that. But don't you have to draw the line somewhere? You can't just go around folding profitable hands because they (might) sometimes get you into trouble. Can you? IS it ever correct to fold AQ for no raise?