Thread: Limit SNGs
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Limit SNGs

I play a lot of limit SnGs, with maybe 2/3 of my total SnG play coming from limit, and 1/3 from NL.
Personally I've found limit games much more profitable, with my ROI at 34% and ITM 43% on $11 limit SnGs, compared to 15% ROI and 37% ITM in NL. This is taken from a small sample size (just over 250) but it shows that limit is a better game for me at the moment.

My style of play is pretty similar in both games; play ultra-tight in the first few levels as many hands in levels 1-3 take 6+ players to the flop, and often 3 or 4 to the river. Many players bleed their chips off early in the opening levels, but its hard to actually bust anyone out - Getting to level 4 or even 5 with 9/10 players isn't rare.
Then you have to switch and become very aggressive, just as in NL. Stealing blinds can be harder and bluffs more difficult to pull off. Play on the bubble is quite similar to NL, since any raise more or less commits you to your hand.

However, from what I've seen people are happier to chase with draws and call down with mid pair in limit. The mentality of "It's just one more bet.." means more profit for me.
Limit is much more forgiving of mistakes as well, especially in situations where you are going to showdown no matter what, and you lose less when you are dominated. This is important as you still have a chance of finishing ITM when you get beat for half your stack early on, whereas in NL you're out.