Thread: Limit SNGs
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Limit SNGs

This is all true. I ended up taking second in mine. I basically just sat around for a while and then went hyper-aggressive near the end. I felt like at the end I played quite skillfully and once I got a big stack, I was able to steal even more easily than I could in NL, without having to risk a chunk of my stack. With 4 people left, everybody just wanted in the money so I was able to steal a lot of small pots and stay out of anything too big.

The main problem in these seems to me that getting past the initial stages is much harder. For starters (at lower stakes anyway), you won't have a lot of people busting out very early, which is hugely +EV for you. Also, if you do manage to get a monster against one of those players, you can't increase your stack as much. This often means you'll have around an average stack in level 4 or 5 and nobody will have been eliminated. After just reading "Getting the Best of It" and "Gambling Theory and Other Topics" I can safely say that if there are 10,000 chips, you would much rather have 1,000 of these chips vs. 5 or 6 players than 10 players.

I do think that limit tournaments are beatable in general, I'm just not sure that the very brief nature of SNGs gives you enough hands to manifest your edge.