Thread: Limit SNGs
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Limit SNGs

I'm also interested in this question. I have also seen the standard response that a decent player will have a greater advantage in NL than limit. This makes sense, although I feel that the somewhat weaker competition at the limit SNG's could at least partially compensate for this.

When I first started out at poker, I played around 30 limit at the 5+1 up to the 30+3. My ROI at each of these levels was from 0.8, 0.5, 0.3, 0.4 and 1.7. Obviously the sample is waaay too small, but it would seem like I was beating them at an acceptable rate.

After this initial foray, I switched to NL SNG on others advice.

However, I accidently played a Limit $109 the other day, and came 1st [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. It did "feel" beatable (which is easy to say when you won....). Certainly, my limit skills are reasonably decent, and I felt like I had a good edge over the competition.

I play mainly short handed, and I felt this helped alot in the latter stages of the tournament. I am quite used to 2/3 handed pots where the flop may have missed everyone, and if you have a good feel for when a bluff/semi-bluff is going to work, I think you can pick up quite a few pots. In some ways it actually seemed easier to steal than in NL. Basically I was blasting away at it when it got down to less than 6-handed, and it seemed to work. I don't think many players make the right adaptations for when the games get short handed, and this is where you can get your edge at these games.

Anyway, with a sample size of 1, this is all complete speculation. I would like to hear from anyone who has played a significant number of these. If nobody has, then perhaps I will play 50 or 100 over the next month and report back.