View Single Post
Old 04-07-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: The converter\'s going open source once I figure out what that mean

[ QUOTE ]
I imagine that some people might start their own sites or whatever with my code, but I trust that some people will just enjoy the recognition and the effort involved to continue to help me keep functional builds up at handconverter.com - with no expectations and no attempts to squeeze money from you guys just cause you want to be able to share your hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

While your decision not to profit from the converter stems from a laudable set of principles, I do wonder about this part. It seems to me that others probably want the converter not to attract 2+2 eyeballs but to add functionality and increase the desirability of their product for their (much) larger customer base. While your open source solution is likely to work in that people will improve it such that the 2+2 community continues to use it, I think sharing the software is still basically tantamount to helping the bottom line of whoever wanted to buy it in the first place.

Why not just share the code with a small group of 2+2 software programmers who are trustworthy and express interest in helping improve the product as times change?

(Note: I have absolutely zero CS background.)