View Single Post
Old 04-07-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: PLO8 betting question

Okay, upon further reflection, and after re-reading what I posted before, I'll clarify my answer.

After the flop, if I hold the nut low and don't have much chance at the high, I'll bet the pot to try to chase everyone out. When I get called down, there'll always be someone at the table who gets upset that I was "betting the low". I ignore these people because in my mind, I'm not betting the low, I'm bluffing the high. If I get more than one caller, I won't bet strong on the turn unless a scare card comes up, and then I might bet the pot again. If you get more than one caller, I've found that it's generally because that one of the callers also has the nut low as well, and then you end up halving the low, and come out behind in the end.

If I have the nut high after the flop, I'll make a fairly strong bet to thin the field, but not enough to win the pot then and there (unless the pot was large enough from pre-flop betting to make it worthwhile). I'll usually bet enough to get a few callers to build the pot.

However, if I'm holding the nut high after the flop, and it is very vulnerable to being beaten (such as if I've got a Q high straight, but there are two suited cards on the board), I won't overbet. Some people will overbet to try get rid of the chasers, but as was stated earlier, most of the chasers will call you anyway if they're holding a four-flush or a set or even two pair, and then when a scare card hits on the turn, what do you do when one of your opponents makes a pot-sized bet?

If I hold the nuts after the turn, I'll then make a pot sized bet if there are cards left that can hurt me.

However, if I am very confident on the turn that I'll still hold the nuts after the river, I'll make another bet that's just enough to get some callers, but not enough to scare everyone away (unless the pot is big enough to make it worthwhile to scoop right then and there).

On the river, I'll almost always bet the pot if I hold the nut high or low. Trying to get too cutesy on the river usually ends up with money being left on the table.