View Single Post
Old 04-07-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Question for Catholics

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a religion is "a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith".

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
one of the bedrock truths of the Catholic Church embedded in my mind forever from the schooling of my youth is that the Pope is infallible in pronouncements about Church doctrine.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong on both counts (at least concerning the Roman Catholic Church) and the rest of your assertions are baseless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding the first quote, that is the definition of religion in my dictionary. It is copied verbatim. It seems to me to be a reasonable description of the common meaning of the word religion. If you don't like, propose a better one, don't just tell me that my dictionary is wrong.

Regarding infalibility, the following is from The Catholic Encyclopedia:

[ QUOTE ]
EXPLANATION OF PAPAL INFALLIBILITY

The Vatican Council has defined as "a divinely revealed dogma" that "the Roman Pontiff, when he speaks ex cathedra -- that is, when in the exercise of his office as pastor and teacher of all Christians he defines, by virtue of his supreme Apostolic authority, a doctrine of faith or morals to be held by the whole Church -- is, by reason of the Divine assistance promised to him in blessed Peter, possessed of that infallibility with which the Divine Redeemer wished His Church to be endowed in defining doctrines of faith and morals; and consequently that such definitions of the Roman Pontiff are irreformable of their own nature (ex sese) and not by reason of the Church's consent" (Densinger no. 1839 -- old no. 1680).

[/ QUOTE ]