View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Turning a New Leaf

[ QUOTE ]
F-U (in the nicest way possible). That is spoken like a guy who just spent a ton of time updating a spreadsheet to keep track of this kind of stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The last time someone said "FU in the nicest way possible" to me it cost me ten bucks, but it was well worth it.

It is refreshing to see someone placing too little value on statistics than the usual too much value. The ratio of "55-tournament stat freak-out" posts to "statistics are meaningless" posts is too many. A lot of people ask questions only because they want affirmation of their personal opinions, without a shred of objectivity. Doctors must see this all the time with patients that come in with a medical problem and then argue with the doctor about the diagnosis.

That being said, I still think it's negligent to give up on statistics while expecting to improve or even maintain a level of performance in poker. If it bothers you to look at ROI/ITM and such, don't do it. I look at mine every week or so, no more, and then usually only as a matter of interest. Now that the AM sheet will autorecord, I don't even have to watch all those pink boxes pop up. Yugo, if you're going to quit looking at your stats, fine. It's probably +$EV (at least in the short term) from the psychological factors. Just don't give up keeping them as I don't doubt you'll want them for something someday.

Slim