View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Finding a Balance in Your Life

I felt the need to reply, Electrik, because what you describe has pretty much been the story of my life since I was a little kid.

People in our position have been blessed/cursed with the ability to take wildly varying things that interest us and become very good at them. I add the above cursed along with the blessed portion of this, because it really does make us feel a bit unbalanced. I think that the reasons for this are the fact that, as the above post stated, our outlook is through a unique prism, and usually there is no shortage of people telling you that you are leading an unbalanced life due to the fact that they do not understand this compunction.

As long as you are not COMPLETELY ignoring the other areas of your life, try not to worry about it too much, after all, it's the journey and not the destination that truly matters IMO.

It's also worth mentioning that your only 20, don't sweat it so much. I.T. finally did the trick for me, but I didn't figure it out until I turned 26 or so (I know, still not that old. I'm fast approaching 30 now.). If, on the inside, you can truly say that you find contentment and hapinness by pursuing widely varying interests/skillsets, then derision from anyone else be damned.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors, and never question the urge to rise above mediocrity in whatever you do, even if it happens to vary wildly.