View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Re: quality of play in stars WSOP double shootouts?

FWIW - I love their $5 satellites to the $160 shootouts (and usually just keep the T$) and have done pretty well at them by having a basic understanding (usually) of the appropriate strategy.

I also like the $5 and $10 turbo-sat's to the $350k guaranteed (which is T$215).

Most of the earlier comments are correct imo including:

- Many of the players in the shoot-outs won their seat via a $5 shoot-out event(almost immediately prior sometimes). They did not all directly pony-up $160.

- The quality of play in the double-shootouts still seems to be pretty reasonable. I have tried 3 of them and have yet to make the final-table. Very few mega-fish in the bunch. Some players a bit weak-tight naturally....but it still seems like there are enough strong-aggressive players to make it tough (limited experience of course).

- Played in one where we had 6 players remaining on our table at the 1-hour break. The chances of the first-round lasting over 1:30 to me (just 1 of 9 tables needs to go long) strikes me as high.
These are NOT the quickest single-table tourneys in the world (which is actually my preference of course).

IF I'm as good as I think I am (and that's a big IF) and there are at least a couple of not-so-strong players per table (in both the opening round and the final-table)
then I might generously put my chances at somewhere around 1:7 times 1:7 (for each table)....or about 1:50 to win the seat.

But since my first 3 tries on the shootouts have gone so crappily I may need to play a couple of Stars $10 SNG's or something to get back in the swing of things on these.

FWIW - I played a 1k FPP tourney for 1 seat to the WSOP. Finished 13th out of 260 or so (just referring to the frustration of 'speding 4 hours playing decently and getting nothing' bit)