View Single Post
Old 02-13-2003, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Hmmmm.....

"Averaged results like this should often be taken with a grain of salt."

Agreed 100%. However, when the gap is very large, it is difficult to just explain away the difference. And the game between KJs and JTs is very large. The gap between KTs and JTs is much smaller, but still significant.

"On another (more controversial note), if JTs was trivially unprofitable UTG to play, I would still play it. If AJo or KJs was, I would not."

As it turns out JTs is more than trivially unprofitable. And AJo and KJs are both very profitable. Much more so than conventional poker wisdom would have us believe.

"Here's an idea - create a starting hand strategy (similar in format to ones in HPFAP and on Abdul's site) using strictly the EV numbers, and noting the fact that we occaisionally play strangely on the first round to add deception, and see how some experts and wanna-be experts regard this starting hand strategy.

We could discuss the strategy itself, and see how it compares to HPFAP and Abdul's adivce. I think this would d create an interesting discussion. "

I did this privately myself some time ago, and discussed and tweaked the information based on input from some friends. It most closely resembles Abdul's recommendations, though there are a few differences.