View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Hit and Run vs. Taking Command vs. Trapping

Hi,
Reading the description of your play and the couple of hands you've posted, I can't help but to think about "giving up the lead", which is a bridge concept I first learned from my father.

I'm not a great bridge player or as good a hold'm player as many posters here, but I am well read and have logged a good amount of hours at the tables and in front of the screens. You might benefit from giving up the lead or downshifting 20 pct or 30 pct of the time and let someone else lead, especially if you have the nuts or a strong hand. Doyle's style is a good tool but a carpenter doesn't just need a hammer he needs a saw, a chisel and many other instruments, if you'll forgive the crude analogy.

You are my bread and butter, at least the way you describe yourself. You are in lots of pots and raising with less than optimum hands. You called a tight BB raise with a K8 with at least two other people in the pot. Sure you hit a near perfect flop for your hole cards, but this should send up a red flag in your mind. A tight player raises in early position, knowing that a madman sits on the button and other callers. I'm planning to put my unborn child through college on players just like you.

You probably don't have to play as aggressive as much as you think to preserve you strong table image and still make money.
As you paint your play, I and probably many other players on the table would key off you. We sit back and wait for strong starters. Eventually we hit and you don't and you bet it up for us when we play weak. We call until we feel the pot is big enough to force you to call the hammer that we drop on the river. Players like that are some of the most profitable situations I have found.

You want to earn respect from your opponents not have them think of you as their next meal by over bullying, Doyle makes this point. It's not hard to tell when someone is just aggressive and when someone is in too many pots and aggressive.

Superaggressive styles by players without the experience and skills to pull them off are sitting ducks for traps.
Playing aggressive is a lot harder than people think -- you must be flawless in knowing when to give it up if you suspect you're beat. And as you say you are coming out busted.

You should also consider that after sitting for a couple of hours, your play and judgment are probably deteriorating from fatigue, making you vulnerable.
hope it helps. chrs
[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]