View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Throwing Money Away - Intentionally Losing

The game I host is (from what I hear) a very tough game for the limits. I can recall four times during tournaments in which I played less than my very best for one reason or another. In all four, it was heads-up, and my opponent was a player who didn't place high in tournaments very often. I generally tell people that it was late (and it always is), I was tired, and that I was just looking to finish the game.

That statement is pretty much accurate but, what I don't tell my friends is that in all four cases, I didn't really care whether I took first or second. We're not talking about a lot of money, and winning a tournament at our game would simply mean more to some players than it would to me.

I'm not exactly throwing the game, but I take many more chances against some opponents than I would against others. Sometimes I'm up for the 90-minute heads-up match to prove myself, and sometimes I'm not.

When we play cash games, some of us will take it easy on the new guy, and some of us won't. After three years, our game finally has more willing players than seats nearly every week. It took a while, though. A year ago, a new player might break even (or even win) their first night. Today, it usually takes a few games (and lost buy-ins) before they break even for the first time.

It's your game, memphis_aces, so do what you feel is right for it. There's a fine line between shearing the sheep, and skinning them. If you host a good game, you'll have no problem filling seats in the long run. It's just getting over that hump that's the problem and, in that regard, you probably know more about what to do than any of us.