View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: 8 Folds to the SB

Depends on the players, but generally that the chances the SB has a better hand does improve in some way after 8 folds. Whether the improvement has any significance is something I am not prepared to say.

Assuming your opponents are not completely insane or just having a bad day, you have gained some information. For example, you can be fairly sure none of the players who folded has a hand such as AA,KK,QQ,AK.

If we define A as the probability that the SB has a certain set of good hands, and B as the set of hands in which 8 people fold, we can derive the conditional probability:

P(A|B) = P(A AND B)/P(B)

Now, the matter at hand is to determine if P(A|B) > P(A).

I might work backwords, and start with the probability that 8 people fold given the SB has a good hand, and use the simple form of Bayes Theorem:

P(A|B) = P(A)*P(B|A)/P(B)

So,

P(A|B) > P(A) if (P(B|A)/P(B) > 1)

Now, I am pretty sure that the probability 8 people fold is greater under the condition that the SB has a good hand. After all, if the SB has a good hand, there is less 'wealth' in the other hands and that should cause them to fold more.

Therefore P(B|A)/P(B) > 1, and P(A|B) > P(A).

Now, the only problem is how much info you gained. The SB has a higher chance of having a premium hand, but he might also be adjusting for the situation and your signal-to-noise ratio might be pretty low.

- Lex