View Single Post
Old 02-11-2003, 12:36 PM

Default Re: PP $1/2 - Now I remember why I don\'t play online...

I disagree with a lot of the advice, here.

First hand, I don't like the preflop raise. Tens might as well be sevens at $1/2. Your raise is going to end up 4 way, which is the worst choice for a middle pair. If you can't get heads up, go for the big multi-way odds by calling and play it like a small pair (i.e. no set, no bet). I think that even jacks are scary to play strong on these tables -- too many players with ace anything or KQ offsuit will call any number of bets.

I also disagree with the folks who said to fold to the check-raise. If you are going to do that, just check behind him and get a cheap showdown. I've seen plenty of PP $1/2 players who are so proud of their straight that they don't even see the four-flush on the board. So I agree with the bet and I also agree with the crying call. Remember that you expect to lose with this call most of the time (probably 4 out of 5), but still win money with it in the long run.

The second hand should have told you something important. It should have told you that you are on tilt and need to walk away. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

As you said, the missed raise on the flop was a huge mistake. But the raise on the river was an even bigger one. I am curious to know travisand's reasoning when he says that it was not a bad idea. Certainly, no one with a better hand than yours will lay it down, and there are not very many worse hands that will call.

It is vaguely possible that UTG is bluffing, here, though I doubt it. If you think he might be, then a call is warranted. A call (as opposed to a raise) might even keep in the BB with a worse hand than you have, where he might fold for two bets. Certainly, if his hand beats yours, he will call regardless. So the raise just costs you money, and never makes you any.