View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: OT -- digital cameras

[ QUOTE ]
My wife wants a nice digital camera, and I would like to get her one. I have been doing a pretty fair acting job on this, and she thinks that I don't think she needs one and don't want her to have one. Anyway, what should I look for in a digital camera... I know nothing about what to look for. What kind of cash are we talking about for a pretty decent one? I don't want to get a piece of junk. I guess I'm looking for the best bang for the buck.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Panasonic FZ-20 ZLR (12x stabilized optical with f2.8 throughout) which is 5mp. I love the camera but it is really not a point-and-shooter. It all depends on what you want to spend and what you want to use the camera for. My next camera is going to be a DSLR, probably a Nikon D70 or the new Canon Digital Rebel XT, or a 20D and the sky is really the limit as far as cost when you start adding various lenses.

There is a pretty good review of a number of digital cameras as well as some basic post-processing techniques using Photoshop in this month's PC Magazine. Also check out the dpreview website and forums for some good camera info.