View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: NEPC $565 NL hand............

[ QUOTE ]
Tough spot.

Why did you check the flop? Not a critique, just a curiosity. I would have made a probe bet of T50 or T75.

If hero folds he still has half his stack. If hero calls he has T50 left. Hero is drawing dead to 10,10. I doubt the villian would limp with the hand and not raise preflop or bet the flop. I would rule out 1010.

I would really worry about either 45 or 44. Aye carumba. 15 minutes into the tournament and a decision for all your chips.

If you fold, you have burned half your stack and have enough chips to play 10 orbits. You have 16 times the big blind left. Enough to still protect your hand at this limit. Since the blinds do not move up that quickly, you have time here.

What's your play here and why?

I gamble and call. I say this because I can come close to doubling up. Some unknown players will make that same play with a hand like A10. Every player needs to put him or herself in a position to get lucky. Im only drawing dead to 1010 a hand, I doubt my opponent has. If he has 44 or 45 I need help. He could have a flush draw or picked up a flush draw. I would have call.

[/ QUOTE ]

...my thinking at the time.....correct or not.

I didn’t know this fella and had no chance to get any read on him whatsoever.........

His limp from mid could be anything from a small/medium pair to Ax or two paint cards.

I did NOT bet out on the flop, because my first thought was........’How can I maximize my return on this hand/ and see where I’m at, at the same time.

I checked behind the SB, fully intending to rr had MP limper bet. My rr would have been a ‘defining’ type of rr.....more to find out where I am at. I was surprised to see MP not make a play at that board given the flop and both of our checks.

When the Tc comes on the turn, the SB again checks and I lead out with a T100 bet this time....again looking to see where I’m at. MP’s rr of T100 appeared ‘fishy’ to me, but it could also be an Tx looking to define his hand. I think for a bit.....Could he really have 44? Could he be on an overpair? I discard both, as I fell that he would have made some kind of move post flop, given that he had position. If he was a tricky player and had 44 and was playing us....o well.

What I REALLY thought was that his mini-rr after the Tc hit was much more likely something like ATo, KT, QT, JT etc. BUT.....there were also 2 hearts & 2 clubs on the board and I really didn’t want to give him odds had he been drawing to either of the flushes, hence my rr of T500, destroying his drawing odds.......

When he rr’d all-in, I felt that I might have ‘trapped myself’, but decided to make the call based upon what the pot offered me plus the idea of doubling up very early in the tournament. As I said earlier, with that many players it was going to be a long day, and I had just finished busting out on the bubble of the $565 FL the day before with AA.....I was in no mood to play for another 8-10 hours on a short stack.

That may be ‘bad’ thinking, but it’s the truth.

I called.....He turned over..................Ad5d...........No help in the river and I’m now in the SB with T25 behind.....

I pick up ATo and move my monster T25 in after all had folded to me.........

Autocall (of coarse by the BB)....He has Q5o......and hits a 5............

No ‘Presto’ for me today.......5’s were my downfall.

O well.....on to the $5K buy in later this week..........